With both English and minority language disciplines becoming increasingly influential in China, the College of Foreign Languages and Cultures (CFLC) of Xiamen University (XMU) has worked to both reinforce traditional studies and promote promising new fields. The CFLC has worked to produce top-quality, interdisciplinary language students who can adhere to stringent standards of linguistic and cultural competence in cross-cultural environments. Through the realization of these goals, the CFLC intends to contribute to the improvement of the region and make XMU a more international institution. At the same time, the CFLC strives to promote and maintain key nationally recognized disciplines.
The CFLC (formerly the Department of Foreign Languages, which was set up in 1923) was newly founded in 1999 as a college, and is among one of the oldest institutions at XMU. In recent years, the CFLC has prioritized key disciplines in order to improve its curriculum and provide a direction for the future development of foreign-language studies. Furthermore, the CFLC has consistently worked to promote interdisciplinary studies and cultivate new academic disciplines in hopes of improving the overall quality of its programs’ curriculum.
1. In 1993, English Language and Literature gained approval to become the college’s first Ph.D. program. It was honored as one of the key disciplines in Fujian Province in 2005. It now aims to be one of the key disciplines on the national level.
2. In 2003, an MA program was approved for Foreign Linguistics & Applied Linguistics. It began enrollment of doctoral students in 2013.
3. In 2004, the CFLC’s Foreign Language and Literature major was ranked 11thin a national evaluation.
4. The Department of Japanese Language and Literature was established in 2004, and was recognized as a “Distinctive Major Program” in Fujian Province in 2008. It began to enroll doctoral students in 2013.
5. The Department of French Language and Literature was established in 2006, and the MA program was launched in 2003.
6. Founded in 1952, the Section of Russian Language and Literature has both undergraduate and MA programs and endeavors to become one of the most influential Russian major programs in China.
7. The German Language and Literature major was established in 2006.
8. In 2006, the CFLC was granted a first-level MA program in Foreign Language and Literature.
9. The Master of Translation and Interpreting program was launched in 2007 upon approval from the Academic Degree Office of the State Council.
10. In 2009, the CFLC’s Foreign Language and Literature program was ranked 13thamong similar programs on a national level, according to the Ministry of Education.
11. In 2011, the CFLC was granted a first-level PhD program in Foreign Language and Literature.
12. In 2012, CFLC’s Foreign Language and Literature program was ranked 10thamong similar programs on a national level, according to the Ministry of Education.
13. In 2014, the Foreign Language and Literature program was given approval to set up a center for post-doctoral research.